You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
The password field is case sensitive.

UV Filter - Bacterial Inactivation : Doubts!

The UV filters kills/inactivate the bacterial cells in such technology based water purifiers. The remains / dead cells remain in the water supplied. Do these cause any ill effects?

A. K. Singh

ak_ranaji3@yahoo.co.in

Tags:

Comments

1.

Dear A. K. Singh,

1. Yes, you are right. UV light does kill or render inactive bacteria/bacterial cells. These dead cells/bacteria do remain in the water.

2. The size of such cells is so microscopic that it has no ill effects on any one who consumes the water.

3. UV based purifiers have been selling very well for a long time and Aqua Guard from Eureka Forbes Ltd has been the top seller for a long time and several other makes too are doing well in the market. I believe that this goes to prove that the process of using UV light to kill bacteria is safe.

With regards

S.S.Ranganathan
Advisor
Ion Exchange
Bangalore

2.

Dear AKSingh,

Endorsing fully the response from Mr.SS Ranganathan, wish to add to the benefit of members, that while using UV Filers, make sure that the flow is just appropriate,

If you are in a hurry you tend to allow more water to flow thus reducing the time for the water with all the bacterial cells to inter-act with UV Lamp-radiations, hence it is important that the flow should not be more.

Also some o&m points to be kept in mind. For e.g in a Aqua-guard filter, get the filters, sand- candle and active charcoal duly serviced/ renewed and the UV lamp surfaces and the inner tube where water passes through duly cleaned and kept in clear condition for UV lamp radiations to be effectively utilised.

The UV lamp some times may be on but may be dimly lit, then this lamp requires to be renewed. This only a mechanic can guide you.

With well wishes from Vigyan Vijay,

Ajit Seshadri
http://www.vigyanvijay.org
ajit.seshadri@vigyanvijay.org

Er. Ajit Seshadri,Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation

3.

Dear A. K. Singh,

The UV light penetrates through the bacterial cover or cyst and kills the organism inside. When it is ingested in your body, it is just a minor irritant reduced or destroyed by the bodily fluids and acids. Not to worry. You shall be in safe hands when you use the UV. Take care to clean the tubes every now and then.

With best regards,

Taral Kumar
Executive Director
Akar Impex Pvt. Ltd.
Noida, Uttar Pradesh

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
1 + 2 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 India License.