You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
The password field is case sensitive.

Borewell Placement Consultation: Jupadu Banglow,Nandikutkur Taluk, Kurnool Dist , AP

We are primarily agriculture dependent. At our 17 acre plot (location Jupadu Banglow,Nandikutkur Taluk, Kurnool Dist , AP)  using traditional water location method at least 10 borewells were dug. But there is no water. We had finalised these spot by traditional ways but there was no water. Please let me know the non traditional, modern methods and contact number if any. 

Waiting for your kind responses.





Dear Viswa,

You may apply resistivity survey (geophysical investigation) to find out expected depth of aquifer & dug upto that extent to explore groundwater.

S. Halder
Asstt. Engineer (Agri- Irri)
Water investigation & Development Deptt.
Govt. of W.B.


Dear Viswa,

It’s very sad to know about the pathetic situation of the farmer who had failed to tap the ground water at ten occasions using traditional methods.

First of all, the concerned farmer should contact good geologist/Hydrogeologists to thoroughly survey the area with hydrogeological and Geo-physical parameters.
The geo- physical parameters should be very precise that, several lines of profiles can be conducted to delineate the weathered zones and fracture system available.

Based on the profile data, "Vertical electrical sounding" can be conducted at the favorable locations to see the nature of fracture system and its connectivity to yield ample amount of water for irrigation. There are several agencies and private consultancies are available in Andra Pradesh to do the same.


With Best Wishes and regards,

Action for Food Production (AFPRO) Task Force
H.P 8, BDA Locality, Laxmi Nagar,


Dear Viswa,

If ground water exploration is carried out with detail hydrogeological study and geophysical survey then ground water sources can be easily be identified. You may contact the agencies like CGWB, State Ground Water Departments and Hydrogeologists and AFPRO working in the area.

In Hyderabad, AFPRO conducts such kind of technical studies. You may contact them for help at the following address:

Mr K Sivaprasad
Unit Manager
AFPRO Field Unit VI, Hyderabad
Nandanvan Colony
Street No.4
Hyderabad-500 007 Andhra Pradesh
Phone: 91-40-27150413/27170421
Fax: 91-40- 27176021


Anita Bhatt
WES-Net India


Dear Viswa,

There are scientific methods to locate the groundwater formations beneath the surface like resistivity survey. There are agencies who can do this work. Better to get in touch with the local groundwater department or a hydrogeologist to get the details of such agencies.


Dr Biju Sebastian
O'Neill Groundwater Engineering
5, Block A, Stradbrook Apartments
Stradbally Road, Port Laoise, Co. Laois


Dear Viswa,

There are many new techniques. Mainly the geophysical techniques like resistivity surveying etc can be used for knowing water depths.

You can as well contact:
National Geo physical Research Institute (NGRI)
Uppal Road, Hyderabad-500007.
Andhra Pradesh, India.
Fax: +91 40 27171564
Phone: +91 40 23434700, 23434711

I have done my project work there.
We used resistivity - terrameter SAS
I personally feel this is a very good method.

Thanking you,

Ranjit Injirapu


Dear Viswa,

I know of many cases wherein people drill well after well without finding water. It is to be realized that water is not available everywhere and anywhere. Geophysical surveys at ground surface help in finding out whether water at depth is present or not.

You may contact the Dr.Ramanujachary of Integrated Geo Instruments & Services (P) Limited mentioned below or State groundwater Geophysicist at Kurnool to carry out these surveys.

Integrated Geo Instruments & Services (P) Limited (IGIS)
#12-13-382, Street No.18,
Tarnaka, Hyderabad -500 0017.
Tel / Fax: +91-40-27018456, 27005810

Wish you all the best,

Prof. Y. Sreedhar Murthy
Professor of Geophysics
Osmania University Hyderabad - 500007


Dear Viswa,

Yes, there is scientific approach to locate the suitable well. You can consult Dr. V.S. Singh of National Geophysical Research Institute.

Dr. V.S. Singh
National Geophysical Research Institute
Uppal Road, Hyderabad-500007.
Andhra Pradesh, India.
Fax: +91 40 27171564
Phone: +91 40 23434700, 2343471


Dr. S.N. Rai
Convenor, 37th IAH Congress
IAH Vice President -Asia Region,
Associate Editor- Hydrogeology Journal
Deputy Director
National Geophysical Research Institute
Uppal Road
Hyderabad - 500 007


Dear Viswa,

For further details you may contact Dr.B.Venkateswara Rao, Centre for Water Resources, Jawaharlal Nehru Technology University, Hyderabad.


Dr. M.V.S.S.Giridhar,
Assistant Professor,
Centre for Water Resources,
Institute of Science and Technology,
Jawaharlal Nehru Technology University,
Hyderabad - 500 072


Dear Viswa,

I am prepared to provide all help a support if the details of the problem are known, kindly send me the details of the problem

Dr O P Dubey


Dear Viswa,

First, I would like to know what is this so called "TRADITIONAL" method that you followed in selecting the bore well sites? Traditions vary from place to place and community to community. So let me first understand what did you do before selecting a place to put a drill hole?

Secondly, send me the coordinates of your area so that I could get an idea of the geological nature of the terrain in which your agricultural fields are located. Further advice will be possible only after you provide information about these two aspects.

Prof. Dr.D.M.Banerjee
FNAINSA Senior Scientist
Department of Geology,
University of Delhi,
Chattra Marg, Delhi-110007, India


Dear Viswa,

Please contact Ground Water Exploration Division of National Geophysical Research Institute of Hyderabad. I think they will be able to help you in this respect using Geophysical Electrical Survey Technique.

Good Luck.

Dr V K Srivastava,
Department of Geophysics
Indian School of Mines University (ISMU)
Dhanbad - 826004, Jharkhand, India.
Phone: (0326)2296559/60/61/62
Fax: 2296563


Dear Viswa,

There are various geophysical methods like Electrical Resistivity, VLF, and Electromagnetic etc., which can be used for selecting site for tubewell. You can send me some details like your water requirement, general geology of your area and depth at which water is found in nearby tubewells, and I would be able to suggest you which method to use.


Sanjay Rana, M. Tech., MBA
PARSAN Overseas (P) Limited
707, Eros Apartments
56-Nehru Place
New Delhi 110019 (INDIA)


Dear Viswa,

Advise them to adopt rain water harvesting techniques. They can construct farm ponds in their fields.

With warm regards,

Yours sincerely,

Hemant Joshi
Executive Director,
Communication and Capacity Development Unit,
Rajasthan, Jaipur


Dear Viswa,

But I need the previous data of water location method, (i.e. what type of method for used the Ground water exploration? & who was investigated the method & Consultant or company name?)

At the same time we don’t know your land area formation either it may have metamorphic or it may have igneous terrain, so first up all we want to see your location and find out Geological cross section and Topographical map etc... Because this the primary Data for find out the exact aquifer (water locating point), after finished the collecting data and then we will use the Geophysical Resistivity survey method for the exploration.

If you need any clarification about the same, please get in touch with us.

Thank you



Dear Viswa,

All the 10 bore wells drilled in your plot carry no water because of over-exploitation of groundwater. Recharging groundwater artificially rather than constructing new wells appears to be the solution to your problem.

As per the AP State Ground Water Department (2006), Jupadu Bunglow Mandal has a cultivable area of 22,575 Ha, of which 45% is command area under Kurnool-Cuddapah (KC) canal and the rest is non-command area depending on rainfall or groundwater. The replenishable groundwater is 2142 Ha-metres/year in the command area and 343 Ha-metres/year in the non-command area. Groundwater occurs in water-bearing fractures within Nandyal Shales of Upper Proterozoic age. Groundwater presently utilised is 16% in the command area and 126% in the non-command area.

Although the Srisailam Right Branch Canal (SRBC) from the Krishna river conveying 19 TMCFt to irrigate 65,000 Ha passes through the mandal, no land in the mandal gets irrigation water. Because of lining, the canal water does not also recharge groundwater.

The best way to solve your problem as well as your fellow farmers is by making a representation to the concerned authorities including S.P.Y. Reddy, Member of Parliament of Nandyal to divert a small portion of the SRBC water to recharge groundwater in the mandal.

Dr. R. Jagadiswara Rao
Retired Professor of Geology
Sri Venkateswara University
Tirupati, AP 517502

Dr. R. Jagadiswara Rao, Professor of Geology Retired, Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati, AP 517502, India



We are primarily agriculture dependent. At our 25 acre plot (location Devanakonda, Kurnool Dist , AP)  using traditional water location method at least 10 bore wells were dug. But there is no water.

This traditional method was done by some random way of choosing a point by doing prayers by some priest. But this did not worked out. So please let me know the details regarding a geologist located near Kurnool 

Waiting for your kind responses.

Ranga swamy.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
15 + 1 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 India License.