You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
The password field is case sensitive.

Irrigation Schemes / Subsidies in Karnataka - Information Required

My native place is Thimmanahalli Village,Banavara Hobli,Arisikere Taluk, Hassan District (Karnataka). We have 5  acres of fertile land and grow Coconut and Ragi. Nearly Rupees 3200/- per acre is spent for water as no natural source of sufficient water is available. We cannot afford to spend this much as the income from land is not lucrative. Kindly provide me information regarding any Government schemes towards Digging of Well or else Borewell which will help in my situation. Also is there any subsidy for such projects?

Kindly inform me,


Raju R



1. Dear Raju, In A.P small and

Dear Raju,

In A.P small and marginal farmers (those having 5 acres or less) used to be helped by A.P.State Irrigation Development corpn, Hyderabad in such cases. Since 10 to 15 years such schemes have been given limited support, due to over exploitation of ground water in many parts of the state covered by hard rocks (Granites and Granitic gneisses). It is not known whether such a facility is available in Karnataka or not. You may contact State Ground Water Dept for needed advice. I am sure they would provide needed information.


Dr. P Ramachandra Reddy
Scientist G (Retd), P.I. USERS Project (DST) & Emeritus Scientist
National Geophysical Research Institute
Hyderabad - 500 606

2. Dear Raju, As such here in

Dear Raju,

As such here in AP, such assistance is provided for CLDP blocks under NREGS program. Further the individual assistance is being provided through SC & ST Corporations, BC Corporations, Minority Development Program, and finally through Rural Coop. Banks. Some schemes they run with subsidy and a few with full aid.  I was also informed from sources similar such programs were being implemented in Karnataka also.

I suggest you to contact immediately with the concern local Rural Development Departments of Karnataka equivalent to DWMA in AP.


Kouluri Reddy
A.P.State Irrrigation Development Corpn.

3. Dear Raju, Support for Well

Dear Raju,
Support for Well digging is mainly through state sponsored scehemes. Sources which can be enquired with include:

1. State Ground water department- whose headquarters for the district would be at District Heqd quarters
2. SC/ST Corporation
3. If the well is being for large group of farmers, some times District Collector do givefund to meet the partial expenses.
4. Zilla Parishad office could be the one which may be contacted
The well/borewell needs to have power supply etc which needs to be procured by individuals.
Instead of thinking to make use of ground water, i suggest that you look for in-situ conservation measures such as trench cum bund, conservation furrows, deep trenches with vertical mulch for planttions etc. You may please contact BAIF office in Tumkur for necessary help. On the other, if you can send us the field layout (properly drawn) along with surrounding featues and dominnent soils info for the field, crops layout along with thier spacing, I can suggets you for few measures.


KV Rao
Senior Scientist (Soil & Water Cons. Engg.) & Officer-in-Charge, ARIS
Central Research Institute for Dryland Agriculture,

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
1 + 0 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 India License.